The Biofeedback Certification International Alliance plays a key role in ensuring that biofeedback practitioners receive top-notch training and education before entering the field.
Our leaders and staff at Advanced Health and Performance Institute in Orlando and Winter Park have received such training, or are on their way to gaining certification from BCIA – which was founded in 1981 and was previously known as the Biofeedback Certification Institute of America.
The BCIA lists seven reasons why its professionals have gained respect in their field from peers around the world. They are:
- The BCIA is a not-for-profit organization, and an effective advocate for the profession and the field. The American Psychological Association listed biofeedback as a skill in psychology after the BCIA lobbied the APA to recognize the importance of biofeedback and its many benefits.
- The BCIA’s biofeedback certification program is the only one recognized by the three top international membership organizations – the Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, the Biofeedback Foundation of Europe and the International Society for Neurofeedback and Research.
- The BCIA’s biofeedback certification has its roots in the latest scientific evidence published in respected journals. The BCIA does not accept narrow, unconfirmed viewpoints and conflicts of interest that can arise when certification depends on a specific company’s equipment, data or protocols.
At the BCIA, certification is achieved by completing a reading list, achieving core field knowledge and abiding by professional standards and ethics that were developed following thorough analysis. These standards and principles are updated on a regular basis by a committee of international experts in biofeedback. The BCIA gathers data on an ongoing basis to validate and update its tests through the psychometric process, which helps ensure the integrity and value of its certification process.
- The BCIA’s biofeedback certification exam employs the highest possible standards. The BCIA staff thoroughly evaluate and revise the exam regularly. Independent experts – from clinicians to the most experienced educators in the field – review exams on a regular basis to ensure that they represent key blueprint concepts, are sourced properly, and are psychometrically sound. The BCIA replaces test questions that are outdated with new ones from biofeedback authorities.
- The BCIA requires certificate holders follow one of the most stringent codes of ethics in the field. In addition, the BCIA mandates certificate holders complete three hours of ethics continuing education before they renew certification. These sound ethical standards are one of many reasons why international professionals have selected to earn BCIA biofeedback certification.
- The BCIA’s Board of Directors includes educators, clinicians and researchers who are key forces behind the advances in biofeedback. The board includes leaders of the top international organizations, leaders who bring decades of experience and service to the field.
Dedication, integrity, training and a desire to continue to learn are all key ingredients that help make up the team at Advanced Health and Performance Institute.
We are dedicated to serving our clients and helping them improve their overall health and mental focus. Contact Advanced Health today to learn more about our staff and programs.